AMES, Iowa – May 10, 2011 – The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) is joining other state, local and regional groups to promote outdoor trail recreation in Iowa at the state’s second Trails Summit, June 16-18, in Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa. Registration is now open online at http://www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/IowaTrailsSummit for this comprehensive trails summit.
Trail enthusiasts can choose to attend all or part of the three days of events that involve a diverse group of trail organizations representing virtually every trail user group, including motorized and nonmotorized, equestrian and water sports. There will be an emphasis on strategies, policies and development opportunities vested in unique partnerships promoting creation of new trail opportunities.
Some of Iowa’s leading experts on trail development and healthy communities will share their ideas on the challenges and opportunities trail organizations face in the coming years. The summit will include sessions with expert panelists moderated by leaders in the trails community. The panelists represent a cross-section of professionals, and each will present an innovative and interesting view of issues important to the future of Iowa trails, as well as participate in question and answer sessions.
The summit is another opportunity for interested parties to work together to preserve, protect and enhance the opportunities available for ourselves, and our friends and families to experience Iowa’s great outdoors, healthy activities and embrace a quality of life legacy that will pass to future generations.
Thursday, June 16
Location: University of Northern Iowa’s Schindler Education Center, University Avenue and Campus Street, Cedar Falls
Fee: $30 for either session
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.: Iowa Department of Natural Resources’ Water Trails Development Training ”From Raindrops to Water Trails – A comprehensive training program”
- 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Multiuser Trail Safety Panel
“Why Can’t We All Get Along – A Forum of Experts, Open Discussion, and Maybe Even an Argument!”
Friday, June 17
Location: University of Northern Iowa’s Schindler Education Center, University Avenue & Campus Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.: “The Future of Iowa Trails and Healthy Communities”
Location: Waterloo Boat House, 707 Park Road, Waterloo
- 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Friday night barbeque
Saturday, June 18
Location: Riverview Recreation Area, Hawthorne Avenue, Waterloo
Fee: Free, with food available for purchase
- 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.: A variety of outdoor recreation exhibits will be open to the public. This will be an exciting day for the public to explore the wide range of recreation trail opportunities available, as well as a great chance to network with other trail users. Families are welcome.
- Online registration: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/IowaTrailsSummit
- Registration by mail to: Iowa Bicycle Coalition, P.O. Box 5562, Coralville, Iowa 52241
- Make checks payable to: Iowa Bicycle Coalition
For general information, call Peter Komendowski at 319-269-8493 or www.iowadot.gov/iowabikes.