For more information contact:
Sgt. Cristy Hamblin
Public Information Officer
Cedar Rapids Police Department
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 6, 2011, 10:00 a.m.
Walking Safely in Cedar Rapids
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – May 6, 2011 – The Cedar Rapids Police Department would like to remind drivers and pedestrians to drive and walk safely in Cedar Rapids. With the warmer weather and construction in the down town area, there many things to keep in mind when walking and driving.
Cedar Rapids Police have received many calls of concern in the downtown area where construction is taking place as well as in the Czech Village when walking tours are being conducted. Motorists are not watching for pedestrians in the crosswalks or at the corners. As stated in 61.053 of the Cedar Rapids City Ordinances and State of Iowa 321.327 pedestrians have the right-of-way when crossing in a marked crosswalk or at an intersection.
Motorists can be cited for Failure to Obey Traffic Control Device (Failure to yield to pedestrian within intersection). The fine is $100 and with court costs and surcharge, the total is $195.00.
Pedestrians who do not cross at the designated locations can be cited for Failure to Cross at Crosswalks. When this citation is issued, a court appearance is required.
321.257 Disobedience to a Traffic Signal
321.257.2 g. A “don’t walk” light is a pedestrian signal which means that pedestrian traffic facing the illuminated pedestrian signal shall not start to cross the roadway in the direction of the pedestrian signal, and pedestrian traffic in the crossing shall proceed to a safety zone.
321.257.2.h. A “walk” light is a pedestrian signal which means that pedestrian traffic facing the illuminated pedestrian signal may proceed to cross the roadway in the direction of the pedestrian signal and shall be given the right-of-way by drivers of all vehicles.
321.327 Pedestrians’ right-of-way
1. Where traffic-control signals are not in place or in operation the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
321.328 Crossing at other than Cross Walk
1. Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway except that cities may restrict such a crossing by ordinance.
2. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
3. Where traffic-control signals are in operation at any place not an intersection pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.
Cedar Rapids City Ordinance
61.055 Crossing at Other than Crosswalk
1. Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway. Where traffic-control signals are in operation at any place not an intersection, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in marked crosswalk.
61.056 Duty of Driver
1. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 61.055 every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian upon any roadway and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary and shall exercise due care upon observing any child or any confused or incapacitated person upon a roadway.